Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Life is Sweet

What better time to brag about my sweeties than February? Right around Valentine's Day and as we've been spending so much time baking yummy treats (aka couped up inside from the freezing weather).

On a daily basis I have to remind myself (repeatedly) to slow down, calm down and settle down to enjoy as many sweet moments as I can with my babies. I (very) often fail, getting caught up in daily stresses and trying to accomplish far too much in too little time. But here are a few of the sweeter moments from our February, thus far...

Studio photo practice with my little muffins!
This was more frustrating than any combination of my most frustrating days from any week. Setting up said studio + fussing baby + curious toddler + general clumsiness + heat from studio lighting = poor combo! I never expected to get any good shots out of this, but just play with lighting and try to understand certain setups a little better. I did manage to get a few shots that I will cherish, not because they are awesome photos, but because they are of my two lovelies doing what they do best - cuddling and oggling one another. Here, Lyla gave Flint an "Eskimo kiss." I just adore how much she adores him!

Cake balls!
Grandma picked up an adorable book on making the cutest little cake-balls and cake-pops you'll ever see. We spent one afternoon making just basic cake balls to get the hang of it (and I don't think either of us had ulterior motives what-so-ever (Mmmm chocolate?)). Lyla, as usual, enjoyed helping with the baking, but mostly the licking of spoons and bowls and of course, her finger after sticking it in whatever chocolate goo she could (she destroyed a few cake balls in the process). While the cake was baking, Lyla and Flint went for a blanket ride, just like Grandma used to do for John and me when we were little. It definitely made me smile.





Valentine treats!
Lyla was super excited about Valentine's Day this year. Especially the part about sharing sweets with "her kids" at school. We totally stole this idea from a buddy in her class last year! Lyla posed (about 58 times!) with her fist out so we could print the photo and cut holes to slip a lollipop through to make it look like she was holding a giant sucker. Too cute! And the outtakes are just as darling!

An adorable bride!
Lyla recently took an interest in Mommy's wedding dress. I have no idea where this fascination came from. She has seen it in photos around the house and a couple weeks ago asked me where it was. Well, when she learned that it was zipped up in a giant bag in my closet, she was beside herself. For several days, she asked me to show it to her and would drag me into the closet so she could admire it and ask to try it on. After explaining to her that it was far too large for her, I pointed out that her cousin, Faryn, had a very beautiful dress on at the wedding, too. Then it occurred to me - Grandma still had Faryn's flower-girl dress at her house, and it was probably just the right size for Lyla, now. Needless to say, on our next trip to Grandma's house, out came the dress! Lyla was so stinkin' cute in it - she looked so pretty and acted so coy. She married her Pap and danced with Gia (and her Jessie doll), then twirled and pranced around in it for as long as she could stand it.




Sweet sounds!
Somewhere in the midst of Lyla's limelight and all the sugar and all the baked goods, little (big) Flint started elaborating on his cooing. He now squeals with delight or just to grab the attention of anyone nearby (and make eyes with them) and it really is one of the sweetest sounds in the whole wide world. More recently, he started to engage in a little game where he gets adorably breathy, long vocals in as his lips are tapped. It's kind of a chicken/egg scenario, but I maintain that he knows exactly what he's doing. He will start making noise and make more noise, the more you tap his lips. Plus, who really cares? It's cute either way.

Cupcaketh!
Lastly, the best way to close out a blog entry about sweet things... cupcakes! Or, as Lyla says, "cupcaketh." Several weeks ago, Lyla requested cupcakes. So, naturally, we dropped everything and made some cupcakes. We had lots of fun and they were delish! I snapped lots of photos that day and in the end, put together a little slideshow - enjoy!

Oh, and visit Picasa for the usual gazillion extra photos!

No comments:

Post a Comment